Saturday, January 12, 2008

Learning to Heal- Nov. 25, 2007***Edited

Some of you are aware, some of you are not. Nearly a month ago, my Grandfather passed away. We spent close to a week in Indiana for the proceedings and arrived back home this past Tuesday, just before Thanksgiving. I must admit, my mind has been preoccupied. His death was somewhat sudden...He had a heart attack Monday November 12th, had a stint placed late that night and seemed to be doing better, however overnight, his kidneys failed and his lungs filled with fluid, and by lunchtime on that Tuesday he was gone.

Granddad lived an long and amazing life. While we shed a lot of tears last month, I so enjoyed sitting around with the family and going through tons of pictures, remembering stories. He was famous for his BBQ ribs every 4th of July, and I mean EVERY one of them! Even when we couldn't be there, we could almost taste them. Thankfully my uncle Minor is keeping that legacy alive, as Granddad not only passed along the spatula, but the recipe as well. His ability to find 4 leaf clovers was uncanny! The rest of us could sit there in the grass for HOURS and never fine a one!!! He'd come to the same spot and in a matter of minutes find a lucky one! It's an ability that many of us wish we had! He was religious about golf and penucle (?). I believe I heard he'd played cards with his buddies the day before he died! We are pretty sure that he's carrying on these traditions in heaven with his buddies and Jesus!

For 31 years I have had all of my grandparents in my life, I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that 1 is now gone. My grandparents have been wonderful and supportive. We've always been convinced that they'd be too stubborn to die :) You could argue with Grandma and Granddad until you were blue in the face, and somehow they would still win! Every holiday that we spent at their house, there was the inevitable "discussion" on politics...and so long as they knew a member of their family wasn't attending church, that found its way into a conversation as well...still does!

Grandma and Granddad have always been solid supporters of all the activities that the grandchildren were involved in. They were typically the first in line to get tickets! Granddad always had a hug and a kiss when our programs/events were over. He may not have a lot to say, but he always knew the right things to say to cheer us on and encourage us!

My mind is still afloat with memories, and I need to start writing them down. Christmas is only 15 days away now, and I guess you could say I'm bracing myself for how different things are going to be. I know when we were there a month ago I kept waiting for Granddad to walk down the hall out of their bedroom or the TV room to say hey with that welcoming grin on his face, yet knowing that it wasn't going to happen. Things will be different, but we will adjust and keep going, our hearts will heal.

To all of you that have shared enouraging words, cards and encouragement, THANK YOU!!!! We appreaciate your love, concern and friendship so much!

No comments: